Check out our latest opportunities for Jobs, Artist Commissions and Volunteering below;
Call Out for Large Scale Mural Commission and Community Project
This Call Out is also available as an Audio File.
As part of Nexus’ 40th anniversary celebrations, Sunderland Culture is working with the transport provider on an exciting project to commission an artist or artists to create a large-scale mural at Millfield Metro Station in Sunderland. In addition, the artist would be required to lead a community project with local residents that connects with the mural creation.
We are looking for artists to propose subject matter for the mural that is unique and relevant and be able to demonstrate high quality in their work through examples of previous similar work. Alongside this, we wish the artist to propose how they may engage local residents in an accompanying participatory project that relates to the mural and its creation in some way. Experience of leading community participatory projects is essential.
The mural and accompanying participatory project should aim to capture the spirit of the Metro Community Takeover, reflecting the core aspirations with artists considering a celebration of community, connectivity and unity
The fee for the creation of the mural is £5,000.
An additional fee of £2,000 will be paid for leading the participatory project.
Materials to be included in the fees.
Closing Date by Friday 26th August 2022
Delivery of Project by Friday 28th October 2022
How to Apply
Your application can be submitted in any of the following formats:
- Complete and submit the Application Form
- In an Audio file (MP3/WAV/Soundcloud etc) to [email protected]
- In a Video file via file transfer site (preferably WeTransfer or Vimeo – max 5 mins I length) to [email protected]
Nexus Metro Community Takeover core values
- The Metro Community Takeover will be driven by communities. There will be opportunities for some groups and individuals who take part to take the lead in choosing the artists they work with, the mediums they work in and the art and performances they create. They will be able to say at the end of each project: ‘This is my work, I am proud of it and I enjoyed the part I played.”
- The Metro Community Takeover will reach a diverse cross-section of our communities. Metro is part of everyday life for the widest range of people in Tyne and Wear. Community can be defined by place, background, demographic and personal lifestyle or interests. Opportunities to create, participate and view will reflect the huge diversity of our society, including people who might sometimes feel excluded from cultural and community activity
- The Metro Community Takeover will be an opportunity for connection and cultural exchange– between artists and communities, between individual projects within the programme and between everyone involved, our passengers and wider public.
- The legacy of the Metro Community Takeover will be ongoing creativity. We want groups and organisations to keep coming back to us, demanding opportunities to showcase their talents in the spaces we highlight and create. This can include people who take part in the Takeover or are inspired by it.
University of Sunderland -National Glass Centre Reimagining Consultancy
Reimagining National Glass Centre is a multi-million pound capital project to redevelop and expand the iconic visitor attraction. The project envisages a bold and visionary overhaul of the venue, creating new and inclusive areas through an innovative redevelopment of the roof space and beyond to place culture, education, creative opportunity, and the visitor experience at the heart of Sunderland’s own economic revival.
University of Sunderland are looking for tenderers to provide consultancy for the reimaging of National Glass Centre, covering 5 themes:-
– Options appraisal
– Stakeholder engagement & consultation
– Development of a future vision and case for support
– Robust Business Plan
– Full Project Management
The commencement date for the consultancy is required to begin August 2022, with final reports and presentations in November 2022 (latest). The maximum budget available is £75,000 (including VAT) which should be fully inclusive of all the elements of the work required at a competitive rate.
For more information visit:
Volunteering with Sunderland Culture
We recognise the wealth of life experience, skills, ideas and knowledge that exists in our local communities, and the valuable contribution that volunteers can make to Sunderland Culture. Sunderland Culture is committed to providing meaningful, enjoyable and safe volunteer assignments of real value within clear and appropriate programmes of activities.
Please only complete this form if you are over the age of 18. If you are aged 16-18 and keen to volunteer with Sunderland Culture, please email [email protected]