A Curious Jubilee with Curious Arts
Saturday 4 June
Drop in between 11am – 2pm
Suitable for ages 4-7 and their families
Experience Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens like the Queen on a royal visit, as the museum gets Curious in celebration of Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee. Craft a crown for your very own coronation, officially re-open the Winter Gardens, search the Museum for the mysterious contents of the Queen’s handbag and much more…
Join us for A Curious Jubilee, where everyone can be themselves, be royal for the day and you might even meet a queen!
Plan your day!
- Royal for the day
- Sessions at 11am, 11:45am, 12:30pm and 1:15pm
- Craft a majestic paper crown for your very own coronation and perfect your family’s royal wave, ready to re-open the Winter Gardens!
- Tea party with a queen
- Sessions at 11:30am, 12:15pm, 1:00pm and 1:30pm
- Take a seat at our (imaginary!) tea party for a story time with a royal guest
- Some of the books you may hear during story time may include The Queen’s Knickers by Nicholas Allan, Perfectly Norman by Tom Percival and And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell
Royal Life Drawing
11am – 2pm
Continue the grand tradition of royal portraiture and create a masterpiece fit for a palace.
What’s in the Queen’s handbag?
11am – 2pm
What does the Queen really keep inside her handbag? Solve the mystery and win a small prize.
- Create your family crest
- 11am – 2pm
- All prestigious families should have their own crest! Create a design that celebrates your family and turn it into a badge to wear with pride.
The Queen Through Time Trail
Celebrate 70 years of the Queen’s reign by exploring events that happened over the past seven decades through objects and stories in the Museum & Winter Gardens. Answer the questions and return your completed trail to Museum reception to claim a prize. Trails are £2.50 per person and can be purchased from the Museum Shop.
- Jubilee Postboxes
- Find 12 Jubilee inspired post boxes decorated by Sunderland schools working with local artists as you explore the Museum & Winter Gardens. The project is managed by Sunderland Cultural Education Partnership and funded by Sunderland City Council.
A small charge may apply for some activities to cover materials. Spaces are limited and you may need to queue.
We are delighted to work in partnership with Curious Arts to celebrate everything that’s unique and wonderful about families. Find out more about Curious Arts’ work to champion and develop the LGBTQIA+ cultural offer of the region