Asunder: YourScreen Exclusive
Available 1 March – 30 April 2021
Until the 30 April, you can now watch the incredible film Asunder live from the comfort of your own home!
Whilst plans to tour the film have not been able to go ahead due to Covid restrictions, we’ve teamed up with Live Cinema UK and YourScreen to broadcast the film for a 2-month run.
Asunder tells the story of what happened to an English town during the First World War, with almost all of its men abroad fighting and its women and children left behind. The North East was in the front line, thanks to its shipyards and munitions factories. Using archive and contemporary footage and audio, Asunder collages the stories of people from Tyneside and Wearside to uncover what life was like on the home front, with bombs falling on Britain for the first time, conscientious objectors sentenced to death, and women working as doctors, tram conductors and footballers.
The narrative moves from an Edwardian golden era, in which sport grew in popularity and aircraft and cars pointed to a bright new future, to a war that horrifically reversed this progress.
The soundtrack is composed by Sunderland’s Mercury-nominated Field Music and Newcastle’s Warm Digits, performed with the Royal Northern Sinfonia and The Cornshed Sisters.The narration for the film is voiced by journalist Kate Adie, with the actor Alun Armstrong as the voice of The Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette.
Asunder is Co-commissioned by Sunderland Cultural Partnership and 14-18 NOW: WW1 Centenary Art Commissions
Please turn on CC (Closed Captions) for subtitles. A trailer with AD (Audio Description) can be found HERE
To watch Asunder:
You can watch Asunder at https://watch.yourscreen.net/film/asunder/ until April 30.
As a YourScreen’s screening partner, Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens can offer the film at discounted rate of £5.99 using the code SUNMUS25
Step by step instructions to watch a film:
- Go to the YourScreen streaming platform, here: https://watch.yourscreen.net/
- Scroll down the homepage through the current season to the film you want to view and click on the image. This will take you to the individual film page.
- Click the ‘Watch £7.99’ button. The first time you do this you’ll be asked to set up an account – very quick and easy, just name, email address and password.
- Once you have created your account, or signed in to your existing account, you’ll be returned to the payment window. Please note what it says here: “48 hour playback window. Once rented, your film will be available in your account for 28 days. Once you press play, the watch window begins and you have 48 hours to watch the film as many times as you like.”
- Tick the ‘I have a promo code’ box. This will open a new pane.
- Enter the YourScreen access code in this pane and click ‘Apply’. This will reduce the rental price to £5.99.
- Enter your card details and click ‘Watch’.
- Enjoy the film!
- Nb – any film that you start watching will be placed in your ‘Library’, which you can access via the ‘Signed in as…’ drop down menu, top right. Accessing your films here, you can pick up where you left off at any time during the 48 hour watch window.
Any other problems, please contact: [email protected]