Museum in a Box is Sunderland Museums’ loans box service which provides a variety of real and replica objects to support learning in classroom or community settings.
There are over 40 different loan boxes on themes rekatign to the Museum collections including decades, wartime, toys, homes in the past and word cultures. The museum also has a large collection of animal and bird taxidermy specimens available to borrow.
Museum in a Box quick facts:
- Loan boxes can be borrowed for periods of up to 4 weeks for £50 per box. Shorter periods can be arranged at a reduced cost.
- Boxes must be collected from and dropped off from the reception desk at Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens.
- A maximum of 3 boxes can be loaned by any one institution at a time. This rule does not apply to taxidermy specimens.
- Collection dates and times are flexible within Museum opening hours but must be pre-arranged with the Public Engagement & Learning Team.
- The Museum opening hours are Mondays – Saturdays (10am – 4pm). Please check the website for our current opening hours.
- It is the borrower’s responsibility to ensure the boxes are returned on time. Please nominate a ‘box buddy’ at your school or community setting who can return the box on your behalf if you are unable to do so.
- All bookings are confirmed by e-mail. Please check your booking details to see box return dates.
- The museum has no on-site car-parking. We recommend parking at Sunderland Civic Centre or Tatham Street pay and display car parks and walking to the museum (5 minutes).
- Bring a trolley if possible as some boxes are heavy to carry. It is the borrower’s responsibility to transport the box safely to and from their car.
To book a box or other loan items please fill out the on-line enquiry form or contact the Public Engagement & Learning Team on 0191 561 8608. We aim to respond to all enquiries within 3 working days. All loans are subject to availability.
See the full list of loan boxes and taxidermy specimens here: