The Fire Station – due to open Winter 2021 – A brand new, multipurpose venue in Sunderland’s city centre.
Capacities : Seated 491 / Standing 775
Now taking programming enquiries for Music, Comedy, Theatre, Dance and Spoken Word.
Contact: Helen Green at [email protected]
For venue information – PDF Download – Venue Pack
For full technical specifications, please contact [email protected]
• Flexible staging with an under stage, adapts to 6m, 9m or 12m depths
• Ground level access for get in
• Flying not available
• Retractable seating wagon leaving flat floor for standing audiences
• Capacities – maximum seated capacity of 491 and standing 775
• Small balcony around three sides of the auditorium contains fixed seating
• Excellent acoustic for amplified music and unamplified speech and drama. The auditorium will be equipped with a full music sound system with a speaker system capable of producing undistorted sound and even coverage of the entire venue at sound levels in the region of 115-120dB at the mixing console
• Walk-on grid over stage and audience areas, designed to accommodate the use of chain hoists and aluminium lighting trusses for safe overhead rigging
• Fully LED lighting system equipped with moving and static lights
• The Parade Ground is suitable for outdoor performances and events (Opening 2022)
The Fire Station is the eagerly anticipated new venue currently under construction in Sunderland’s city centre. Located next door to the famous Empire Theatre and forming part of the city’s exciting new cultural quarter, it is a brand new building designed to cater for mid-scale artists who have not previously had the opportunity to visit the city. It forms part of the city centre regeneration which brings into close proximity new office blocks, hotel facilities and new housing.
Designed by architects Flanagan Lawrence (Sage Gateshead, Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama) The Fire Station auditorium will link up to the 2017 conversion of Sunderland’s central fire station which accommodates drama and dance rehearsal and workshop spaces. The venue provides a complete package for visiting artists including:
• A fully staffed venue offering box office, front of house, marketing and technical support
• A choice of venue layouts for different art forms and genres using retractable seating and fixed balcony seats
• Public and private staffed bars + The Engine Room bar/bistro housed in the old section of the building
• Excellent public transport links
• Parking for several thousand vehicles close by
• A variety of hotels within walking distance and more available along Sunderland’s award winning seafront