Sunderland Culture (we, our or us) brings together the cultural venues and programmes of Sunderland City Council, University of Sunderland and Music, Arts and Culture (MAC) Trust (the Partner Organisations) into a single, independent, delivery model.
Sunderland Culture operates National Glass Centre and Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art, Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens, Arts Centre Washington, The Fire Station and delivers programmes of cultural engagement and events across Sunderland.
Where you book a ticket for a show, exhibition, event, performance, course or workshop at a Sunderland Culture venue (Event) you agree that the conditions listed below shall apply to your booking.
- Booking Terms and Conditions
- Issue of tickets
- Refunds and exchanges
- Photography and Mobile Phones
- After Sales Care and Complaints
- Retail Offers
- Health and Safety
- Events Beyond Our Reasonable Control (Force Majeure)
- Using this Website
Booking Terms and Conditions
- The information on this Website is correct at the time of submission to the Website. It is your responsibility to ascertain whether an Event has been cancelled or rescheduled. We will make all reasonable attempts to promptly notify purchasers of any such cancellation or rescheduled Event but make no guarantees in this respect.
- We reserve the right to refuse any ticket holder admission to (and/or eject such person from) an Event, or to our venues.
- You consent to the filming and sound recording of your participation in any Event, as a member of the audience. We will endeavour to inform you prior to the commencement of the Event if such recording is to take place.
- We reserve the right to make adjustments and alter programmes, special offers and incentive rates at any time without notice.
- Only holders of tickets purchased from our venues, our website or our official ticket agencies, will be admitted to an Event. It is your responsibility to check your tickets as soon as you receive them as mistakes cannot always be rectified. Please check your ticket(s) on receipt carefully and contact us immediately if there is a mistake.
- We reserve the right to provide alternative seats or places at an Event to those specified on the ticket if the staging of the Event reasonably requires, provided they are of no less value to that stated on the ticket.
- We will not be responsible for any ticket that is lost, stolen or destroyed.
- Where a concession is claimed, proof of identity and concession entitlement (for example of age or student status) may be required.
- Any ticket cannot be used for advertising, promotions, contests or sweepstakes, unless formal written permission is given by us, provided that even if such consent is obtained, use of our trademarks and other intellectual property is subject to our prior consent.
- Concessions tickets for students, under 16’s, those on disability and unemployment benefit, over 65’s and retired will require proof eligibility either at purchase or on entry.
- Children under the age of 18 months, who do not require a seat can be granted a ticket free of charge.
- A complimentary carers ticket can be provided on production of suitable proof i.e. a Carers Card or similar
- Save in respect of liability which cannot be limited by law, our liability to you pursuant to these booking conditions is limited to the face value of the ticket purchased.
- These booking terms and conditions are governed by English law and subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
- We will send you a pre-event email ahead of your visit to keep you updated on the latest Covid-19 guidance. Please also check our website, which will be regularly updated with further details, updates and information – all information is correct at the time of publication and is subject to changes to Government guidelines.
- Payments can be made by cash in person for events at Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens, The Fire Station and Arts Centre Washington, cheque, (made payable to Sunderland Culture Ltd) or the following credit and debit cards – Visa, MasterCard, Visa Delta, Maestro, and Electron. Please note: National Glass Centre does not accept cash or cheques.
- Tickets must be paid for at the time of booking, tickets cannot be reserved.
Issue of Tickets
- Tickets purchased on our website will be issued via email as an e-ticket to the email address provided when you registered on the site. Your e-ticket may be printed, or presented for scanning on mobile or tablet device.
- If you choose to print your e-ticket it must be clearly printed to scale on plain A4, clean, white paper. Problems with printing will not be our responsibility. Unauthorised duplication of your e-ticket may prevent your admittance to the Event.
- Postal charges are stated upon the Event booking page
- Tickets can be held for pick up care of the venue where the Event is taking place and may be collected on presentation of the debit/credit card used to make your booking or appropriate proof of identification.
Refunds and exchanges
The Fire Station, Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens and Arts Centre Washington:
- Please note, as soon as payment is taken we are unable to offer refunds except in the event of a cancelled Event where we are unable to reschedule. Sunderland Culture reserves the right to substitute artists and alter the advertised programme without prior notice. This does not affect your statutory rights.
- Personal arrangements, including travel, accommodation, subsistence or hospitality relating to the Event which have been arranged by you are at your own risk.
- Postal charges will not be refunded in the event of a cancellation.
- Tickets may be exchanged for seats or places for the same or lower price for an Event of the same production or title up to 24 hours before the Event. Exchanges are strictly subject to availability. A £2.50 handling fee will be charged per transaction. All original tickets must be produced before an exchange can be processed. Handling Fees will be retained in the event of an exchange.
National Glass Centre and Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art:
- Cancellations made more than 28 days in advance will be offered a full refund or one free date change.
- Cancellations made between 14 and 28 days in advance will be offered a 50% refund or one free date change.
- Cancellations made less than 14 days in advance are not eligible for a refund or date change, although bookings may be transferred to another party.
- If a date change has already been requested, we cannot offer a refund on a subsequent cancellation.
- Personal arrangements, including travel, accommodation, subsistence or hospitality relating to the Event which have been arranged by you are at your own risk.
- If you arrive later than the advertised start time or you need to leave the Event for any reason then you may be asked to wait until a suitable break in the Event before you can take your seat or place – this may be an interval. Depending on the Event we may be unable to admit latecomers at all. Sunderland Culture reserves the right to refuse admission to any visitor.
7. Photography and Mobile Phones
- In the interests of minimising disturbance of artists and other audience members, we do not permit photography (including using mobile phones or other handheld devices), video or any other means of recording or transmitting within The Fire Station Auditorium.
- The only exception to this is if audiences are expressly encouraged to take photographs by the artist during the performance.
- Mobile phones must be switched off during any performances.
- By attending an Event, you consent to filming and sound recording of yourself as a member of the audience. We, or our Event Partner(s), may use such films and recordings (including any copies) without payment.
8. After sales care & complaints
9. Retail offers
- Sunderland Culture reserves the right to change these general terms and conditions which are applicable to all retail offers and discounts at any time without prior notice by amending these online.
- Offers and discounts are not transferable and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or discount.
- All offers and discounts are subject to availability, can be changed or withdrawn without notice, and may be available for a limited period only.
10. Health and safety
- Ticket holders must comply with all relevant statutes, safety announcements and venue regulations whilst attending an Event. If ticket holders have any special requirements or concerns about any special effects which may be featured at the Event, prior notice should be provided when ordering. Special effects may include, without limitation, sound, audio visual, pyrotechnic effects or lighting effects.
11. Events beyond our reasonable control (force majeure)
- For the purposes of these Terms and Conditions, ‘Force Majeure’ means any cause beyond our control including, without limitation, act of God, war, insurrection, riot, civil disturbances, acts of terrorism, fire, explosion, flood, theft of essential equipment, malicious damage, strike, lock out, weather, third party injunction, national defence requirements, acts or regulations of national or local governments.
- We will not be liable for failure to perform any obligation under these Terms and Conditions to the extent that the failure is caused by Force Majeure.
12. Using the Website
- Your access and use of the Website is subject to the following terms and conditions (Terms and Conditions) and all applicable laws. By accessing and browsing the Website, or any part of it, you accept, without limitation or qualification, these Terms and Conditions and acknowledge that any other agreement between you and us is superseded and of no force or effect. Where you book a ticket on the Website, your purchase will be subject to our booking conditions above.
Terms and Conditions of Use of the Website
- We provide this Website for your personal entertainment, information and educational use only. It is subject to change by us without notice. You should assume that everything you see or read on the Website is subject to copyright or other intellectual property rights unless otherwise noted and may not be used except as provided in these Terms and Conditions or in the text on the Website without our prior written permission. We neither warrant nor represent that your use of materials displayed on the Website will not infringe rights of third parties not owned by or affiliated with us.
- You may only download material displayed on the Website for non-commercial, personal use, provided you also reproduce all copyright and other proprietary notices contained on the material. You may not, however, distribute, modify, transmit, reuse, report, or use the contents of the Website for public or commercial purposes, including the text, images, audio and video without our prior written permission.
- Images of people or places displayed on the Website are either our property or that of our licensors. The use of these images by you, or anyone else authorised by you, is prohibited unless specifically permitted by these Terms and Conditions. Unauthorised use by you of such images may infringe third party intellectual property rights.
- The trademarks, logos, and service marks (Trademarks) displayed on the Website, including “Sunderland Culture” logo are our registered and unregistered Trademarks or those of our licensors. Nothing contained on the Website should be construed as granting any license or right to use any Trademark displayed on the Website, without our permission or that of such third party that may own the Trademarks displayed on the Website. Your misuse of the Trademarks displayed on the Website, or any other content on the Website, except as provided in these Terms and Conditions, is strictly prohibited.
- While we use all reasonable efforts to include accurate and up-to-date information or materials on the Website, we make no warranties, guarantees or representations as to its accuracy, timeliness, completeness or suitability. We assume no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content on the Website. You acknowledge that such content may contain inaccuracies or errors and that we make no commitment to update such material. We expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law. We exclude all liability and responsibility for any amount or kind of loss or damage that may result to you or a third party in connection with the use, inability to use or the results of use of the Website, any websites linked to the Website or the material on such websites, including but not limited to loss or damage due to viruses that may infect your computer equipment, software, data or other property on account of your access to, use of, or browsing the Website or your downloading of any material from the Website or any websites linked to the Website.
- Whilst we endeavour to ensure that the Website is available 24 hours a day, we shall not be liable if for any reason the Website is unavailable for any time period. Access to the Website may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond our control.
- Nothing in this legal notice shall exclude or limit our liability for:
- death or personal injury caused by negligence; or
- fraud; or
- misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter; or
- any liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
- Other than personally identifiable information, which is covered under our privacy statement, any communication or material you transmit to the Website by electronic email or otherwise, including any data, questions, comments or suggestions, will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary. Anything you transmit or post may be used by us or our affiliates for any purpose, including but not limited to reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast, and posting. Furthermore, we are free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any communication you send to the Website for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to developing and marketing services using such information.
- Links to third party websites are provided for your convenience. If you use these links you leave the Website. We have not reviewed all of these third party websites and do not control and are not responsible for these websites, their content or availability. We do not endorse or make any representation about them, any material found there, or any results that may be obtained using them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites, you do so entirely at your own risk. You may not link to the Website without our prior written consent.
- We shall have no obligations or liability in respect of any material which is submitted, broadcast, provided or contributed to the Website in any way by users. You are prohibited from posting, submitting, transmitting or otherwise any information to or from the Website:
- that is threatening, defamatory, obscene, indecent, seditious, offensive, pornographic, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discrimination, menacing, scandalous, inflammatory, blasphemous, in breach of confidence, in breach of privacy or which may cause annoyance or inconvenience; or
- for which you have not obtained all necessary licenses and/or approvals; or
- which constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law of or infringe the rights of any third party, in any country in the world; or
- which is technically harmful (including, without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data).
- You may not misuse the Website (including, without limitation, by hacking).
- We shall fully co-operate with any law enforcement agency, authority or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or locate anyone posting any material in breach of these Terms and Conditions.
- The Website is controlled and operated by us from our offices in England. The formation, existence, construction, performance, validity in all aspects whatsoever of these Terms and Conditions or of any term of these Terms and Conditions or any dispute in relation to the materials contained in the Site shall be governed by English law. The courts of England and Wales shall have non-exclusive jurisdiction to settle any disputes which may arise out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions or use of the Website. Your continued use of the Website indicates your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- We may at any time revise these Terms and Conditions by updating this posting. You are bound by any such revisions by continuing to use the Website and should therefore periodically visit this page to review the current Terms and Conditions to which you are bound.